Welcome back to CTM Claims Class!
With the ever-changing environment around us, it is imperative that Insurance companies change and adapt in response. Over the past several years, there has been a marked increase in the number and severity of catastrophic losses due to the changing environment, such as wildfires and flooding.
One significant change in the insurance industry in the last decade is how insurance companies have responded to this change by adding additional coverage options to ensure policyholders have adequate coverage.
Water losses can be devasting, and with the increase in the number of water-related losses and the severity, we wanted to give you the knowledge and tools to better prepare yourself. With this edition of CTM Claims Class, we will review the most common water losses and provide you with some helpful tips on how to avoid them!
Common Water Losses:
- Hot water tank leaks
- Severe weather
- Pipe bursts
- Blocked drains and backups
- Ice damming
- Appliance failures
We had the opportunity to speak with CTM Claims Expert Roisin Peters, and here are her top tips to avoid water losses at your home, cottage or rental property.
Water Loss Prevention Tips:
- Regularly maintain your plumbing and appliances to detect any problems early.
- Install a water detector that sounds an alarm when moisture levels go up.
- Install an automatic shut-off valve.
- Monitor your water bills to confirm no excess usage.
- Check your sump pumps regularly to ensure they are in proper working order.
- Check caulking and grout around showers, tubs and sinks.
- Drain all lines leading to outdoor taps and irrigation systems prior to winter.
- Clear eaves and downspouts regularly.
- Seal any cracks in the foundation walls and floor.
- Store contents in plastic containers rather than cardboard and use raised shelving to store items.
- When travelling, have someone check your home regularly.