Welcome to CTM Claims Class!
The winter in Canada provides ample opportunities for fun and adventure. From skiing, pond skating, snowshoeing, snowmobiling or curling up in front of the fire to read. One thing that also comes with our beautiful cold winters…. insurance losses!
At CTM, we know how important our Canadian winters are to our Canadian identities and want to ensure that you all have a happy and healthy winter season. For this edition of CTM Claims Class, we had a chance to speak with Roisin Peters, and she prepared a list of loss prevention tips for the winter to make sure you can make to most of this winter while protecting your home!
- Never use an oven to heat your home.
- If you use a portable heater, make sure to keep it away from furniture, curtains or other flammable items.
- Keep your driveway and sidewalks clear of snow or ice. Salt and/or sand where needed. Over 70% of slips and falls occur in the winter.
- Always dispose of the ash from your fire at a safe distance from the house, and in a metal container. Be sure to clean all debris from the chimney to prevent chimney fires.
- Drain outdoor faucets and lines to prevent freezing.
- Clean out dryer vents lines to prevent dryer fires
- Check your roof for missing or loose shingles. Inspect flashings and vents regularly.
- Check windows and doors. Replace weather stripping or caulking where needed.
- Clean out eavestroughs and downspouts to ensure water flows away from home.
- Test your sump pump to make sure it is operational.
With CTM Claims Class, we are going to be speaking with the experts on the CTM Claims Team so they can share their knowledge. Do you have any pressing claims-related questions you want to know? Send us an email at email@example.com, and we’ll ask the experts for you!